Monday, November 7, 2016

Book Review: One of the Few

After reading the synopsis of One of the Few: A Marine Fighter Pilot's Reconnaissance of the Christian Worldview by Jason B. Ladd, I was intrigued by what I would find inside. The opening is gripping and exciting sharing the story of the author's father during a helicopter rescue mission. I was drawn in. Some of the following chapters were incredibly relatable since, as a military brat myself, I could understand and nod along to some of those classic experiences we share as dependents.

The main point of this non-fiction is actually Ladd's personal account of his faith awakening, which was not a quick enlightening, but slow and somewhat calculating. He joins the marines and marries his sweetheart and over time begins to find disparity between how life can be lived with and without faith in God. Delving into theology to find and share the truth and comparing what he finds to his role in the military and his family can make the reader examine their own life and how their own faith lines up.

I truly enjoyed reading the personal stories taken from Ladd's military and family life. It is there I think Ladd's communication really shines through. My only wish is that they were slightly longer. Once the chapter ends the reader is quickly transported to a new time and location, whereas I wish we could have taken things slowly.

A personal favorite inclusion to One of the Few was probably the chapter beginnings with two conflicting quotes on the same topic. It was fascinating and somewhat amusing to see such stark difference laid out between worldviews and it assisted with the introduction to a new topic.

This is not a quick read book to take to the beach and browse through. It should be read gradually with time to contemplate between chapters. Some of them can be hard-hitting. Others convicting. And yet other chapters may have nothing to relate to you personally. Each one had a strong point to come across and nearly any person could glean truth from them. This is a good read to share with those searching for God as well as those who are established in their faith.



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
http://www.jasonbladd.com/

1 comment: