Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My Writing Confessions

It has been radio silence in this place for some time now. I've still been reading favorite blogs, but I haven't been writing.

At. All.

Well, I did write an article for USAA which was published. That was an awesome!

But otherwise, I have been staying away from my blog page. Most bloggers go through this season... it has happened several times for me.

Should I keep going? Why am I writing? Is anybody even reading? Is this fun? What am I going to do with this place? Am I good enough?

I don't find myself as a niche blogger entirely. I write about everyday life, raising my kiddos, the fun trips and explorations we go on, life in the military, books and sometimes food. Nothing is very profound. I write straight from how I think and talk with very little editing.

Maybe I should invest more time in that.

Then when it comes to photos... I'm not an awesome photographer. I usually post straight out of camera with some minor cropping or blurring out if necessary. And my cameras aren't even fancy! I use my iPhone mostly or my small Olympus Tough since those fit the lifestyle I live.

Safety and security for military families has been all over social media recently. It's something I've pondered on -- watermarking photos, changing names, blurring faces, removing all hint of locations, scrubing clean anything related to the military. But I don't think I can do that.

I've been writing at the Tervo Times for nearly 6 years. Six-freakin-years!

I'm terrified of starting over. This place has documented my family life, the developments of my children, the growth of my marriage... I don't want it erased.

But I don't know where I want to go from here.

If I'm willing to commit to growing my audience, branding, trying to turn an income -- then major changes will have to happen. I'd probably move to wordpress. I'd pay money for a domain name and a designer. I'd be seeking advice.

I would be dropping into the mental cage that I MUST write and it MUST be good.

Would that hinder creativity? Would I be more open? Would I just be presenting a facade to my readers?

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I want to write again. I have many things I want to record for my own interests. I can't guarantee that I'll be posting like clockwork, but I do know I want to start writing about some things and hopefully there are a few readers still around. If not, that's okay.

For now I'm back.


No comments:

Post a Comment