Monday, February 23, 2015

Silence Broken by Dogs

My tiny nook of the internet has been pretty silent.

Not to worry though. We're all good.


Don't you just love the Lego Movie?! We all do here. This post has nothing to do with the movie, even though the song is awesome and gets stuck in my head all the freakin' time.

Anyway, there have been a lot of things going on... but one big one.

I became approved through San Antonio Pets Alive (SAPA) to foster dogs, puppies, and kittens (not much of a cat person though) and rescue them from euthanasia by injection (EBI). E-mails are sent with info on the dogs on the city EBI list and there was one dog in particular I kept my eye on.

She was a brand new mother dog with 7 puppies.

Nobody had taken her for several days and she was on the pull list to be put down if nobody stepped up by that evening.

So I said I would take her in... her and her 4-day-old babies.
Puppies are 10 days old
Arden wasn't aggressive, but she was very protective of her puppies. By day two she trusted us. We were told she is about 2 years old. She is actually very sweet, loves attention, house broken, walks pretty good on a leash, does well with other dogs, is okay around kids (but won't tolerate a lot from them), and trains very easily since she will do anything for a treat!

Arden is a smaller dog weiging probably less than 30 pounds and I'm surprised seven puppies even fit inside her! Now that they are over 5 weeks old these dogs seem HUGE! We can tell she has German Shepherd in her, but she is mixed with something a lot smaller. Terrier? Corgi? Spaniel?

We still aren't sure of what kind of dog got a hold of her. Her puppies are big! We've got 4 boys and 3 girls. And they are incredibly fluffy! They seriously look like stuffed animals. They are so cuddly and cute! I tell people that if you are ever having a bad day you just go sit with the puppies and it makes everything better.

around 2.5 weeks old
almost 4 weeks old
around 5 weeks old
It has been a lot of fun having all these puppies in our house/garage. It does require a LOT of work too and I don't even know how much dog food we have gone through since we started the little ones on gruel and transitioned to puppy food. Having to take them to the SAPA vet for their shots and what not takes forever and can really waste a day. I will say that only cleaning one kennel is much easier than the 15-20 I used to have to do when I worked at the Pet Boarding, Adoption, and Grooming Center when stationed at Yokota, Japan.

People have asked me about how Maya is doing. She's great! Her and Arden like to hang out and play together. There is some attention jealousy, but that's normal with more than one dog. Maya also enjoys the puppies. She was always interested in them and Arden doesn't mind Maya being around. She used to nudge them about when we were holding them or when they were starting to walk around more. Now that they are active she loves to play and wrestle with them.

I have really been enjoying my time as a dog foster mom. And no, we do not plan on keeping Arden or any of her puppies. I hope to find them some great homes as soon as they are weaned, up to date on vaccinations, and fixed (all paid for by SAPA). We will probably have mama dog for a bit longer than the puppies, but that's okay with me!
about 4 weeks old

No comments:

Post a Comment