Friday, November 21, 2014

Parent-Teacher Conferences


This month brought parent-teacher conferences for both of my kids. Though some parents complain about having to go, I am usually excited to hear from the adults who spend so much time around my little ones and know how they are doing.

Both meetings were insightful but we didn't learn anything outrageous.

When it came to Will's parent-teacher conference we were, overall, satisfied. Ryan and I were already aware of his weaknesses, but found he is doing alright with his work (as long as they can get him to focus). To our immense relief and happiness we were told Will does have a friend in class that he likes to spend time with specifically and he is well-liked by his peers. He can play with anybody in his class. Out of the different subjects and topics, his teacher said Will seems to be strongest in his math concepts. And really, with his dad being who he is, that is not surprising.

Then there was Alanna's conference. She is excelling. She is ahead of all of her peers in the class. Her teacher said that Alanna needs to be tested for the gifted and talented program before Kinder or she will be angry. The way my daughter just absorbs vocabulary and concepts is like a sponge but the fact that she retains and recalls makes for an especially bright student. She is still working on using her words to express her emotions, but she's 4 and this is expected. Apparently the teachers have discovered having her paint and make art has a calming effect on her.

Services for speech are still provided for Will per his IEP. Sometimes he is a pill leaving the classroom with the therapist but at least he is doing his work. While I'm on the subject of speech, we agreed to have Alanna evaluated at school since she has some speech issues as well. We have no objections to her also receiving speech if she qualifies, it won't harm her. This isn't surprising since her main conversationalist is her brother. She has grown up around and adapted how he talks so she has some bad habits. I have discussed this with therapists, doctors, and other teachers... all agree that with her being around her peers it will improve, but even now she is not speaking as clearly as she should. Her teacher was mildly amused when I told her, "she has issues with the /r/ sound, the medial /s/ and /s/ blend sounds, the /l/ sound, and she often omits the final sound of her words." I guess it seemed like I knew what I was talking about.

In the end I was happy with our meetings. These wonderful teachers knew my kids and I was glad to see where they stood in their class work.

No comments:

Post a Comment