Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Teal Pumpkin Project

 
Have you heard of the Teal Pumpkin Project?


It was started in order to raise awareness about food allergies and provide non-food treats to hand out to kids trick-or-treating. You can get more information at foodallergy.org as well as find some good resources to help spread the word and advocate about the teal pumpkin project.

We are participating this year. Nobody at our house has food allergies, but I have a sister with some pretty extreme food allergies and know several children who do as well. It isn't that hard to pick up some extra tinkets to hand out and it can make a huge difference to kids who just want to have a fun, safe night. We will have our normal candy in one bowl and our second bowl will contain our non-food items: stickers, pencils, tattoos, bracelets, glow bracelets, and mini rubber ducks. You kind find things at the Dollar Store, Wal-mart, Target, Amazon... or if you get your act together early enough check out Oriental Trading Company.


I had talked to the kids about it and of course they were happy to do any fun project and even helped pick out the items to hand out. When it came to the painting I really had to keep myself in check about having the pumpkin look perfect... this was for them. We picked up a cheap, fake pumpkin at the store to color and after mixing the paint I let Will and Lana go at it with little interference from me.

I think it turned out alright. You have no idea how hard it was for me to NOT get spray paint and just paint over the whole thing over myself. Self-control... nailed it!

 Would you consider joining in?

1 comment:

  1. That is a really great idea! I haven't bought our candy to hand out yet (can we say procrastination?), so I might do that this year. I hadn't heard of it before, so thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete