Monday, October 6, 2014

Encouraging Therapy Developments


As of right now I'm hoping we are looking on a brighter side to our therapy issues. Perhaps there was a reason the other place didn't work out... maybe we needed to go to this other one.

We finally got in for evaluations at the new place. I have to admit, I was leery of going since the location is not known for being a good part of the city. But after getting into the building and meeting some of the people I was put at ease.

On our first visit, Will was evaluated for Speech and Physical Therapy. I was called into the office to discuss his case with the owner of the practice. Everything she shared with me on Will's speech and language was nothing new. He is an obvious Apraxic diagnosis - apparently. The difference was that in the past nearly every therapist has told us it was unlikely William would ever speak normally and he would have significant, obvious speech issues for his entire life. This therapist said that with increased therapy and a specialized program to work on at home my son could likely have almost completely normal speech before high school, maybe even before junior high. According to her, it is all about neural re-mapping.

Tears flowed.

As a parent, you always want so much for your kids. You want them to be normal. You want them to be accepted. When dealing with special needs you can get bogged down in the fog of therapies and small, slow improvements so it can be difficult to see the big picture or even look up from the battle you are waging. Once you are given the hope... a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak... it can be overwhelming.

We still have a long, hard road but we will persevere.

Then I talked with the physical therapist. Again, she didn't share anything new and agreed that William is getting close to graduating out of physical therapy. He still needs to address overall strength and balance and flexibility and coordination but he is doing well.

A week later we had the Occupational Therapy evaluation. Again, nothing new to share. It seemed everybody was getting a pretty accurate and fair assessment of my son.

We are now on the schedule for this week and hope to have regular, permanent appointments very soon. It looks like Will could be increased in speech from two 30-minute sessions a week to three 45-minute sessions a week in addition to his one-hour a week each of physical therapy and occupational therapy. At this point, I'm just happy to be receiving anything at all!

Once our schedule settles and I finally know what to expect each week I think we *might* be able to add something fun the kids and I have been talking about: dance and/or karate lessons.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard good things about neural re-mapping - I really hope that it works for William. :) I'm really excited about this brighter light at the end of the tunnel for you. Yay for William too! You are an amazing, diligent and persevering mom and William is very lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete