Friday, August 1, 2014

What I've Been Eying III

The past two weeks I have posted my new series: What I've Been Eying. I will continue with it this week, but I think I'll be limiting this to once a month, just like I'm doing with my new Look Back series. I am discovering that I don't "want" enough things worth posting about every single week... but it's still fun to window shop around.

Here's what I've Been Eying:

1. Vibram Five Finger Shoes. Very cool. These have been on my radar for quite some time. I'm not sure if I'd use them for running, but I might. I'd probably use them more for walking, water activities, and just comfort. I haven't picked a style just yet but I think I'll have to start looking more closely and choose.

2. With this hot, humid Texas weather I'm looking for something fun for the kids to do at our house outside. Because of draught and water shortage we're kind of limited on the whole water sprinkler thing so I was thinking of getting a water table. Whenever we go to a friend's house and a water table is present my kids are occupied forever! William more so than Alanna. The Step2 Wild Whirlpool Water Table looks good. Actually, Will has some birthday money still kicking around and I think this might just make a good purchase.

3. Cube Storage Shelves kind of like THIS one from Ikea (which come with inserts!). I've been wanting to get a good storage shelf for our second living area/dining room/entryway area. I want to use it to hold arts & crafts supplies as well as anything to help with doing homework. It would be nice to have some organization rather than piles of paper and Rubbermaid storage bins.

4.  A waterproof phone case. I haven't posted about this yet... but while my sister was visiting this past week we took the kids on a super fun tubing ride down the Comal River in New Braunfels. Sadly, both of our phones experienced an unfortunate accident. I am currently without a phone while it sits in rice for a few days. Today we were able to turn on, but it is definitely not fully living and I will be needing a new one (which I'm actually sad about, even though I'm due for an upgrade). I will be getting a new waterproof case and right now I'm looking really hard at the Lifeproof Nuud or the Otterbox Preserver.

5. My book choice this time is Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home by Nando Parrado. I'm usually a fan of some good non-fiction. It was probably some time last year that I first heard about the tragic plane crash in 1972 carrying a Uruguayan rugby team. I looked it up online to get info on what happened and found an amazing story of survival. Stranded up there with injuries, no food, and harsh conditions 16 of the 45 passengers survived and were rescued over 2 months later after Parrado and Robert Cannessa (another survivor) hiked for 10 days to find help. Parrado wrote this book many years after the experience so I'm looking forward to reading about some reflection and aftermath. Should be good.


So... what have YOU got your eye on?

No comments:

Post a Comment