Monday, July 28, 2014

A Look Back: When William Was Born

Several months ago I logged back into Myspace and was able to load and save all my old blog posts, which basically chronicled our life in Japan.

I'm now going to share my quick, simple, and not very eloquent birth story from when I had William in 2008. I was 22 years old and naïve on the life I had ahead of me.


------------------

I am now a mom! How crazy is that?

After days of back and forth with the hospital (Wednesday night, Thursday evening, freakin' early Friday morning) we were finally admitted. Yeah, contractions started Tuesday evening so these were some very uncomfortable days with sleepless nights.

Anyway, after awhile they gave me a shot to essentially make me go to sleep since I was already exhausted and the hard parts to having the baby were still to come. I woke up 90 minutes later wanting to pull out my insides. Man, contractions are worse than cramps from hell, if that is even possible.

The doctor (who was amazing) came and talked with Ryan and I. She said that my contractions, though painful and strong, weren't strong enough to push out the baby. It would take another 15 to 20 hours of this before he would arrive. *gasp* I couldn't do that. She said they could use putosin (sp?) which will make the contractions MUCH stronger but it would also be much more painful. The problem was with my being as exhausted and worn out as I was she wanted to know what I wanted to do. I gave in.

"GIVE ME THE EPIDURAL!"

I cannot tell you how wonderful it is! I have decided that from now on all my children will be born with an epidural if possible.

So I got the stuff from the anestesiologist (sp?) who I then told was my newest best friend. The needle didn't hurt at all - of course I was in the middle of a contraction when he did it so I don't remember much anyway.

I was completely numb. Couldn't feel a thing... and I slept through the final 3 hours of hard labor.

They woke me up when it was finally time. 30 minutes of pushing and William Isaac was born. He gave us a little scare when he first came out 'cause the cord was wrapped around his neck. Maj. Yates was great, though, and had it all taken care of within seconds -- he pinked right up.

March 7, 2008 @ 11:08 am. 7 lbs. 9.9 oz and 19 inches long. Awww... he's got plenty of dark hair and you can tell his eyes will be dark. Oh, and he has long legs and chubby cheeks. He's adorable!

We just came home today. The past few days were long, but good.

William is healthy. I got my RhoGam shot - stupid RH factor.

Ryan is amazing with the baby... it is so cute. He's the definition of a doting father. LOL. Marty isn't too thrilled though. She's curious and interested in Will, but she's scared of it and of course we haven't really let her come near him (only to smell his feet and blanket).

Recovery sucks. I have a nice bruise on my back from the epidural and I'm pretty sore in all places related to giving birth. I swear that first BM after having a baby is terrifying, especially with stitches, but it wasn't all that bad. I've got Motrin to help relax and I'm getting along pretty well. Ryan has been great helping me and being understanding, I love him.

So, like I said, we're all at home now. It is so weird having a baby of my own though. When he was first born I could only stare at him in near shock that he was mine... just a few minutes before he wasn't here and then he was. It's like a whole new person. Amazing. It is a great experience and I'm excited for what else is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment