Friday, November 15, 2013

Well done, Grandpa

The last time we saw my Grandpa (holding Lana) Christmas 2011
I wasn't going to be posting anything today originally, but felt I needed to insert something here to note this time in my life.
Yesterday afternoon (EST) my Grandpa passed away.

He was 86 years old.

A few days ago he fell and broke his hip. My cousin (who lives at the house with him) found him and called 911.

Wednesday he underwent surgery.

All 10 of his children flew or drove in from their respective states and cities to be there together with him. We all had a feeling this was getting near the end. Even if he survived the surgery there was a lot of risk to his already failing health. In addition there would be months of difficult and painful rehab that I knew he probably was not up for.

We were all preparing for the worst.

I took a big sigh of relief when he survived the surgery and everything had gone well. But we knew we weren't out of the woods as the next 48 hours are still quite dangerous.

Today I was busy volunteering at the kids' school and getting my house ready for a guest that was coming over for dinner. I realized I didn't know where my phone was and had left it on silent.

After finding it I saw several missed calls. And my heart dropped because I already knew what happened before I even listened to the voice mail.

My mom's message confirmed.

I called her back to get details. Then called my husband.

Grandpa was doing okay. My one aunt was with him and the others were actually getting their stuff together to head back to the hospital when he passed.

It seems that he was fine, then had a little trouble breathing, then he took in a breath... and then nothing. It was very fast.

In some ways I'm very sad. I'm grieving. I hurt for my mom and her brothers and sisters who are now orphans. And for all of us many, many grandkids who lost an amazing man. The Patriarch of our family.

My mom and all 9 of her siblings at the hospital this week
But at the same time I'm at peace and happy for him. He lived a long life and the last 10 years have been very difficult for him. I know he lived in pain. I know he hated being on dialysis. My grandma died 13 years ago and I know he missed her dearly (they were married for 50 years before she passed away). So many of his loved ones were already waiting in heaven before him. I can only imagine the joy he felt to stand in the presence of the Lord.

All I can think of is 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Well done Grandpa. Welcome home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sierra, I am so sorry. My hubby and I are feeling this shortness of time as well. I made a quick trip home in October to see my Grandpa who's been placed in a care home because of his health and my Grandma's inability to keep up with his care. My hubby's Grandpa is in the ER right now for failing health due to cancer.

    I'm sorry you weren't able to be there. My prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad your at peace despite the grief.

    ReplyDelete