Saturday, September 21, 2013

First Official 5k

Several months ago I completed the couch to 5k program. Then I hit a lull until I found a running buddy. Now I have Joanna. She is a more seasoned runner and has run some pretty big races. We keep each other accountable and help each other show up and run 2-3 days a week. We usually run 3 miles but sometimes it's only 2 and occasionally we go over 3 miles by a little bit. On Saturday mornings we sometimes run with our other friend, Jessica (she's a barefoot runner which is pretty cool).

We are not fast. We take our time and pound out our distances.

I'll be honest. I hate it. I dread going in the morning and dislike the actual running part. But after I have completed I feel better and also feel a sense of accomplishment that I finished.

You've got to love endorphins!

Well, the first and only 5k race I signed up for was the Air Force 5k which is part of the HUGE Air Force Marathon. I was going to sign up for the 10k but when I went to register it was already sold out. (Insert sad face here) Had I gotten to register for that 10k I would have trained for it and increased my distance... but oh well.

We picked up all our goodie bag stuff on Thursday and the race was Friday night. That's right, in the evening. So I had the ENTIRE day to feel that dread building in the pit of my stomach.

When it was time, I got ready. Dressed in my new fancy-schmancy Air Force Marathon runner shirt I headed to the start line and meet up with my fellow runners Joanna and Jessica.
Then something happened. I started to feel excited and looking forward to this run ahead.

Then something else happened. It started to rain.

Then is poured.

Then we had thunder and lightening.

I was standing under a tent near the start line. When word came that the race was delayed I watched for a slow in the downpour then headed over to the Nutter Center where my running buddies (who had arrived later) were waiting out the storm.

We stood around and chatted and I was feeling confident, even happy, about running. That buzz from other runners anticipating their run can be contagious.

Then the news arrived that the 5k was cancelled because of unsafe running conditions. Darn you Ohio weather! We were told to go down to the expo floor and receive our finishers medals.
Jessica, Joanna, and I with our sad faces

I was bummed. I was actually SAD that I couldn't run. I almost wanted to cry because for some strange reason I actually WANTED to run those 3.1 miles. I felt like a crazy person! Who does that?!

So I have my medal but don't feel like I deserved it. Joanna said we should just go run 3.1 miles for our next run and her husband will give us our medals. That might make it better.

Now I'm on the lookout for some new 5k races. Maybe I'll be brave and do a 10k? Only time will tell.
 


3 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry that you didn't get to run. :( I like the idea of doing a 5K and having your husbands give you guys the medals - that's pretty neat.

    Here's the next race! *lifts glass in anticipatory celebration* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that the race was cancelled, what a bummer! The excitement on race day is so much fun. Hope you can sign up for another one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer it got canceled! my friend was there for the half marathon and said it was WET.

    ReplyDelete