Monday, July 29, 2013

Military Monday: By My Side

Another weekly link up with Ashley at Eights on the Move.

This week's topic: What is the most significant moment/event in your life that you're SO thankful your military spouse/significant other WASN'T deployed for?


I have to preface by saying that hubby and I have not had to experience a deployment at this time. He's gone TDY for different things and our longest separation was about 3 months (I think). Ryan has been slotted twice to head out to the desert but for different reasons beyond his control (for one we were PCSing and for the second he was being sent to AFIT), he was removed from both.

Anyway, on to the topic. I was racking my mind to think of what significant moment I'm thankful Ryan was home for. Thing is, we've been blessed that he's been available for most all of them. I think the only significant thing he missed was our first anniversary. He also missed my college graduation, but I'm actually okay about that and it wasn't the fault of the military, it was our choice.

He was there for the birth of both of our children. He's been around for all birthdays and 7 out of 8 anniversaries. He has yet to miss out on a major holiday. And when it came to PCSing, he's been present for those as well. Those are probably all the big things.

But I did think of something specific to us I'm thankful Ryan was home for. When the pipes froze at our house in New Mexico, then burst. Our house suffered the second worst damage in housing and Ryan was there to step up for his family and make sure we were cared for. He was the one that could be rough and stern with housing, standing his ground to be certain we didn't fall between the cracks. He got us into TLF before housing was able to deal with re-homing everybody who had to vacate their homes because of the same issues. We were stuck there for 2 1/2 weeks before we could move back in. During that time Ryan and I both got severe food poisoning and I received news that a high school friend had committed suicide. It was such an awful month.

Then housing was putting pressure on us to move back in before repairs were done. Only carpet had been replaced. Ryan told them that wasn't happening when we have a 2 year old and a 10 month old in the house, no ceiling in the children's room, no insulation in that room, open holes in the walls, and painting to still be done.

Eventually repairs were made to our house and we were able to move in safely.

I'm so glad Ryan was present. I'm not sure how we would have dealt with all of that without him. I could trust him to protect us and fight the battles with housing that I may not have been as strong with.

I am aware of how thankful I should be because my husband has been around for big life events. This may not always be the case, but for now I will just be thankful.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome he hasn't missed much. My husband missed our first anniversary too, but I'm happy he has been here for all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the deployments. So far we've racked up 1 valentines day (not super significant), 2 birthdays, a trip home and before he gets back an anniversary. But he'll be home for the Christmas holidays which are one of our favorites. So, I'll take the rest as missed. He's always good about making things up when he gets home.

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it crazy to reflect on the ridiculous things you've survived & be thankful he was there?! Thanks so much for linking up, girl!

    ReplyDelete