Sunday, June 30, 2013

Book Review: The Point by William E. Jefferson

The Point: The Redemption of Oban Ironbout by William E. Jefferson

I had previously been given the opportunity to read an excerpt from William E. Jefferson's novel The Point: The Redemption of Oban Ironbout and originally found it interesting, so I agreed to read and review the entire book.

Goodwin and Hollie, newlyweds, travel to the picturesque Isle of Estillyen for a time of reflection, rejuvenation, artistic exploration, and introspection. This time is important to them as they both attempt to come to terms with the recent diagnosis of Hollie's illness. They participate on "readings" by the monks of Estillyen who artistically weave scripture in a poetic and dramatic way. During their time on the island their lives become mingled with Oban Ironbout, an old, recluse of a man who has lived a lonely life of sadness, pain, and depression.

Overall I was not a big fan of the book. I found the dialogue very one-dimensional and it did not really add much to the characters. Additionally, I felt that this book had two major different story lines that did not mesh well together. Jefferson could have written a book solely on the monks' readings, which would have been interesting, if he had been about to expound on them and perhaps include more of the discussions that occurred after the readings. Another book could have been written that followed the Goodwin/Hollie/Ironbout plot.

Although I did have a desire to read The Point I felt it was very difficult to get into. The monks' readings at times became vague and parts were very reminiscent of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, though not executed as well.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

1 comment:

  1. He did write a book solely on the monk's readings. It's called "Redemption". I'll have to send it to you when I'm finished with it. :) Let me know if you are interested. :)

    ReplyDelete