Friday, April 26, 2013

Visual Schedule

As if you haven't noticed, I've got a couple young children running around my house.

And like most households, we have things that have to be done.

I wanted a way to explain to my kids what we were going to do everyday so they would be somewhat prepared and have the feeling that they knew what was going on. Hopefully their early life wouldn't seem like mom packing them up in the car over and over while they were clueless to where we were going.

After checking things out on Pinterest I figured out something that would work for us - a Visual Schedule. My inspiration came from THIS pin.
this is my visual schedule that we now use
With limited wall space I didn't want some paper or laminated thing. I also wanted something presentable. Oh, and it had to be at a level the kids could see.

Solution: Fridge.

I bought some magnetic sheets for our printer, used Publisher and WORD to create templates and then cut them out.

I tried to cover all our activities: therapies, school, church, visiting friends, bath time, meals, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, exploring, grocery shopping... the list goes on.

These things turned our marvelous! It is easy to change every day. I keep all our magnets in a bag above the schedule so I can quickly go through them and find what we're doing that day. If we have something new or one of them is damaged/lost, I can simply make and print out another one.

I spent a couple days finding a rhythm and order to how to lay out the schedule, but now we have it down. Every day my kids ask me to do the schedule - they like to know what's going on. Everything is quick! If our schedule needs a quick change we can simply remove the magnet or replace it with a new one.

the completely vertical layout didn't flow well for us
columns worked much better
My only drawback on how I made them is that they aren't super sturdy... so when Lana grabs off "Bedtime" and wanders around with it, the poor magnet does not return in the same pretty, clean, smooth condition. Oh well.
 
Do you keep a visual schedule for your kids? How do you do it and where is it displayed at your house?

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! I don't have kids yet, but I'll have to remember this for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have templates for these? I'd like to know what ALL of the activities are that you have printed. I know you don't do them all in one day, just trying to get some ideas for my 5 year old. I did this with my 11 and 12 year olds when they were 4 and 5 and they loved it! And so did I! Kept the questions of what are we doing? to a minimum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do still have everything I created saved on the computer in WORD documents. All of the activities I have are: MORNING, AFTERNOON, EVENING, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, airport, arts & crafts, bath, bedtime, bike, chores, church, clean up, daddy's school/work, dentist, explore (museums, zoo, aquarium), get dressed, grocery shopping, gym, hippotherapy, lessons/homework, movie, music, occupational therapy, park, party, play inside, play outside, quiet time, read books, run errands, school, shopping, speech therapy, swimming, tv, visit friends, walk.

      Delete