Friday, January 18, 2013

When Baby Was Born Book

I have a slight Pinterest obsession.

It is kind of like hoarding, but without the smell.

Anyway, quite some time ago I saw a pin to an album template to make special books for your kids about the day they were born.

Now I LOVED this idea. And I immediately knew how to make this my own.

You see, I do not do baby books.

When Will was born I was so excited to be one of those mommies that would document every little thing their little one did and be so proud. Well, when the "Baby's First Word" section kept glaring at me blankly I felt I was doing something wrong. I felt judged. I felt like a failure. Then other delays began presenting and it made thost blank spaces blaringly obvious to me that I must be the worst mother in history. Shortly after William was diagnosed with Apraxia I decided I would no longer keep a baby book. Relief lifted from my shoulders.

Needless to say, when Alanna came along (shortly before the diagnosis) I was tentative to do a baby book so the one I had for her really didn't have much filled in.

I felt better about this decision after I read One Call Away by Brenda Warner and she shared her reasons for not keeping baby books after the challenges with her son.

Anyway! That where THIS pin comes in. I could totally do something like that... maybe simpler.

I know I'm not the only one who receives special free or half price 20 page books from Shutterfly or Snapfish. I could totally just create simple books for my children to read to them about when they were born and include pictures from their time in the hospital and first week of life.

In the end I think the books turned out cute. Will and Lana received them on Christmas and I think they will be cherished keepsakes once they get older.
I started out with Mommy and Daddy falling in love and getting married. In both stories we lived in Japan originally.
Then I bring in the surprise that baby makes 3 and include pictures of ultrasounds and of me actually pregnant. With Alanna we also wrote that she already had a big brother and while I was pregnant she came with us to Hawaii on our move back to the states.
I mention going to the hospital and how long we were there. Then of course the important facts about date, time, and their measurements.
When your baby is born there are certain physical features that you take notice of and I was sure to personalize that for each child.
When Will was born my mom came to Japan so I put that in the book and when Lana was born my mom and Will came and visited us in the hospital. Then I also say that we brought them home and have a picture of their first house. Since we will move around many more times in our life (and Will and Lana had different first homes) I felt it was a nostalgic touch.
I put in a little something about what their first few days at home were like.
And I end with our first family photo.

Totally easy! I could see where more little embellishments can be made or leaving pages blank to tape or glue in hospital bracelets or baby's first footprints or other hospital memoriabilia. It just depends what you want. I wanted a simple book to read to my kids about when they were born... and I think I accomplished that.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! I love the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVe, LOVE, LOVE this idea...I may have to steal it! :) And I love your blog's new look! Very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea as well! I'm going to have to put it on my next 101 in 1001 list. :D I can't wait to read the books in person too. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete