Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Town at the Creation Museum

When we received orders for our current base I started doing my usual "Bucket List" of sites to check out. My dear friend Tegan told me about the Creation Museum and it immediately made it to the top of my list.

During a Bible Study I was participating in at my church an announcement was made about the Creation Museum's Christmas Town. It is held every Friday and Saturday evening during the month of December.

I decided we were going to go!

We decided on a day and thankfully the weather was decent and we went the Saturday before Christmas.

To my surprise I find out that Christmas Town is completely free to the public! Also to my surprise was the mass of people who also decided to attend that final night.

Overall our experience with the special event was just okay. The large crowds kind of put a damper on things. Then it was VERY cold and I didn't realize how much was actually done outside. Although the kids had their heavy coats and hats, I did not bring thick gloves and before we were finished both children had been pretty impacted by the icy temperatures.
What did we do there?

Well, we started out inside at one of the dramas about a temple guard. It was decently acted out and had a lot of emotion. Unfortunately we couldn't get really into it because Alanna was being a two-year-old and was busy fidgeting and talking. At that point we decided not to see the other 2 dramas that were also performed inside since the subject matter was quite a bit above the heads of our little ones.

Although the museum was open for an incredibly reduced ticket price, we didn't check it out because we were just doing the Christmas stuff.

Then we got in line for the Nativity drama. Because of the swarms of people we waited in line close to half an hour. Once we were outside we learn that there are several drama stops we are supposed to go through.
The first two are about Noah's Ark. We learned more about the flood and the building of the ark and how the animals were dealt with. It was interesting, but we were already distracted by the cold. Turns out the Creation Museum is in the process of raising funds to build a life size replica of Noah's ark.
After those dramas, we headed over to see the Nativity drama. The speaker shared some really good insights about how our traditional views of the Christmas story may not line up with historical reality. William was being a great listener, but Alanna wanted to wander. Ryan and I took turns keeping her reeled in, but she was being difficult.
Once the speaker was finished we were ablet to see the Nativity and Alanna got to see what she had been asking about, Baby Jesus. She also got to pet some sheep.

Live Nativity
Then we took off to see the beautiful light displays in the gardens.

We passed another drama about the wisemen, but it was pretty frigid and we didn't want to stop. We passed by the camel rides and the petting zoo... at this point trying to hurry to find a quick way back indoors!

William was very cold so I just told Ryan to take him quickly and Lana and I would catch up.

We all found each other inside and sat down by the fish so the kids could warm up, eat a little something, and be entertained.
Like I said, our experience was just okay.

I really want to go back and actually go through the museum, probably without kids first. There is so much to learn and go through. It really is fascinating to see how history, archaelogy, science, and the Bible all line up to a very logical and practical "theories" that I strongly believe in. This place is only about an hour away from us so I actually hope I can visit several times in the remaining months we have on station.

If you are ever in the Cincinnati area I highly recommend a stop at the Creation Museum, it's worth the detour and the ticket price!
 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment