Sunday, December 16, 2012

Book Review: The God Box by Mary Lou Quinlan



The God Box: Sharing My Mother's Gift of Faith, Love and Letting Go by Mary Lou Quinlan

I found this book to be an incredibly easy read. When I sat down with it I think I had it finished in about an hour. The writing was sweet and endearing. Mary Lou Quinlan wrote this book with a tenderness for her mother that any woman could fall in love with.

When Quinlan's mother passed away her God Boxes were discovered -- all 10 of them. Over the years Mary Finlayson wrote quick, simple prayers on scraps of paper which she would then fold up and place in a small box. It was her way of caring for friends or family, letting go to God, and her steadfast faith that all would be taken care of.

Quinlan uses beautiful stories sharing how powerful it was to see that her mother was always praying for her and could sense the deeper issues even when they were never voiced. She tells of the special relationship she held with her mother that I am sure many women can relate to.

This book gives a great insight on what we can do to keep a God Box of our own. It teaches us that even if we don't have control we can let go and let God take care of it. Sometimes that is all we can do.

My biggest drawback was that although I found the idea of keeping a God Box sweet, I felt that at the end of the book the God Box Project was being forced to the reader, trying to make a big movement out of it. I felt this cheapened the beauty of what made her mother's God Box so special, but I can see how the project can be a great impact to others.

The God Box would make an excellent gift book and I think I might just have to find some additional copies.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Photobucket

1 comment: