Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012

Happy Halloween everybody!

I hope you all had a safe and wonderful time. Our days have been busy but overall fun.

Costumes for 2012: Rapunzel and an Indian

Both kids decided what they wanted to be. And since they have a mommy who did costuming in college as a theatre major of course their garments would be totally rockin'. I don't care that I spend probably four times as much to make it myself than I would if I bought something off the rack -- it's special.

So during the rage of getting Alanna's costume finished in time this is what my room looked like:
Lovely... and this is when it looked tame.

The kids got to wear their costumes to Will's therapy where they received rave reviews from the staff and other parents. Lana loved her "princess dress" and William eventually liked to show off the fringe on his shirt.

We did eventually make it out to Windmill Farm Market for the hayride. Originally I wanted to go weeks ago but then I got sick and couldn't stray far from a toilet so we rescheduled. A storm came in (one of the storm fronts that met up with Hurricane Sandy to make it worse) and I was afraid we'd be rained out, but we weren't. It was pretty cold so we dressed warmly.
I know, I'm wearing a child's hat... I cannot find the grown-up hats and it was the only one that fit on my head. Oh, and the kids were refusing to take a picture so that's what's up with the grumpy faces.
A new friend met up with me there and brought her 4 boys along. It was nice to get to know her better and have another person to chat with while there. The hay ride was fun but because of all the rain the puddles were ginormous and the ruts behind the tractor were so deep! It felt more like a roller coaster than a hay ride at some points.

this pic doesn't do the experience justice
Will LOVED the hayride
We weren't allowed to get off and do the pumpkin patch because it was too soggy and muddy and such. Pumpkins were for sale at the front but I thought they were too big so I figured we'd get pumpkins later from a store. (In the end, Ryan went out the night before trick-or-treating and all he could find were pie pumpkins. They aren't the best things to carve but I got it done. And no, I'm not using them to make pumpkin pie now.)
The available pumpkins for purchase
pumpkins from the hayride
Anyway, at the farm we saw animals and the kids played on the awesome wood toy train/boat/tower/truck/bus. The mud and water didn't slow them down at all.

Oh, so when we actually did get our pumpkins I got ready to carve them. Will wanted to look inside and tell me about the orange color and all the seeds but didn't really want to help scoop them out. When it was Lana's turn she kinda freaked when her hands got all gooey and then refused to do any more. So all the pumpkin work was left for me to do. At that point I was glad they were just small pie pumpkins.

In the Dayton area (and I think most of Ohio) they have what is called "Beggar's Night" which is basically Trick-or-Treat but held on a chosen night earlier than Halloween. Different cities/townships/neighborhoods go out on different nights. The idea is to avoid the "trick" part and keep mischievous activity at a minimum. Even with the crazy storm they held our candy night on the 30th. It was very, very cold.
And yes, my kids are using Thirty-One Carry Littles All Caddies as their bags. Totally awesome, I know.

We started out and went next door to meet up with friends to Trick-or-Treat around our neighborhood when I realized our hands were freezing... so I ran home to get their gloves. At that moment Ryan arrived home and Will decided he didn't want to to trick-or-treat. He would rather hang out at the house and hand out candy and play with his pumpkins. Lana and I continued on though.

Lana was totally into the trick-or-treating this year. It was so fun! She would actually say "Trick-or-treat" in her adorable little girl talk and happily say "tank-coo" after receiving her candy. The friends I was walking with brought their dog dressed as a sheriff so when Lana got her candy I told her to go the Sheriff Dog and wait, and she did. It was helpful if she couldn't find mommy in the mass of little kids roaming around.
her Rapunzel hair kept her ears warm so she didn't want to wear her hood
Eventually Ryan was able to coax William back out and we met up with him. This year Will actually, truly said "trick-or-treat"... the first year he has done so! I was so thrilled! He mostly mumbled it quietly but I knew he was trying and he did an amazing job.

We didn't stay out too long since it was bitterly cold. The rest of the night William and I handed out candy. And all four of us gorged ourselves on sugar.

On the actual day of Halloween, William had a costume parade at school and parents were invited to come and hand out candy. Lana joined me. She loved any reason to wear her costume. Oh, and I was also in costume. It's my pirate costume I made when I was pregnant with Alanna. It fits much differently now and I think looks better without a belly protruding out over the top of the belt!
He's walking with the aid dressed as Mrs. Potato Head
Lana snacking on Candy while we wait for the parade
He's actually posing nicely for me!
So that was our Halloween. It was fun but I'm glad it's over. I find myself really looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

But before either of those show up I'm off to PWOC International Conference in Nashville, TN! Whoot!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Adorable costumes! Your little ones look like they had such a fun Halloween and I totally agree, home made costumes can make Halloween just that little bit more special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a reason to wear the adorable rain boots! (Jealous!)

    Alanna's hair is getting so long and full! Beautiful! :)

    The costumes are awesome! You always do a good job! :)

    ReplyDelete