Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: Double Blind by Brandilyn Collins



Double Blind by Brandilyn Collins

I have been reading a lot of nonfiction lately and when I had the chance to read a novel I was happy to have the opportunity. There is always something fun for me to get into fiction and enclose myself in a new world. Double Blind really took me to an interesting place that could actually happen in the not-too-distant future.

Lisa Newberry needs help. She is a young widow, victim of a life-threatening attack, and suffering from severe depression. She applies for a medical trial offering possible relief and is accepted. A microchip is implanted in her brain that emits electrical pulses allowing her the gift of a new and brighter future. But that's not all, Lisa suddenly begins to experience paralyzing images of a brutal murder. Still trying to move on with her life, she needs to find out why this is happening, if it is real, and what she can do to help. In doing so Lisa puts her own life in danger.

This was a fast-paced and exciting book! Collins made her characters come to life with all their complex personal issues and desires to make the right choices. At first I was a little put off with the character of Lisa's friend, Sherry. I wasn't quite sure what role in the plot she really had but as the story moved on I would understand her importance. Lisa's mother was probably my favorite supporting character. She seemed very real and easy to imagine.

During the entire book I was trying to figure out who was involved only to be kept guessing. There were twists I wasn't expecting at all! The images of the murder were not gory and gross and were presented in a dream-like way and I imaged them as flashes sort of fading in and out. Lisa gets a grip on her faith during these times of struggle but God was not a push front, in your face piece of the book. It seemed normal and natural for her to rely on her beliefs, not forced. When this zooming roller-coaster of a novel ended I was satisfied on how things resolved but at the same time felt uneasy that this type of technology is just on the horizon. It definitely gave me something to think about.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment