Saturday, October 13, 2012

Book Review: By Faith, Not By Sight by Scott MacIntyre


By Faith, Not By Sight: The Inspirational Story of a Blind Prodigy, a Life-Threatening Illness, & an Unexpected Gift -- by Scott MacIntyre with Jennifer Schuchmann

I had originally debated on if I wanted to read this book. I mean, another American Idol contestant? It seems overdone. But for some reason it intrigued me. Even though I no longer watch the show I remembered this guy-- I had actually liked him and that season was one of the last I actually kept up with. Why not find out more?

I'm so glad I did! Scott's story is truly fascinating. It's not about some blind guy making his dreams come true by a breakthrough on a television show, his life began long before that. Born blind. Gifted pianist. Graduated college at 19. Marshall scholar accepted to Oxford and Cambridge. Scott had to work hard for his achievements, but his loving and supportive family helped strengthen him through challenges. Their united faith in God during the good and bad times is a testimony in itself.

Right when it seems Scott is ready for all his dreams to come true and hard work to pay off he is slammed with a diagnosis that puts his life in jeopardy. Only through an amazing gift is Scott able to survive and live his life. He continues to pursue a music career and eventually makes it on American Idol.

This was an enjoyable read. I had a hard time putting it down and read it quickly. My only complaint is that it sometimes seemed repetitive on certain ideas, but that was easily overlooked. I found it inspirational and encouraging. You could feel the love Scott had for his family as well as the angst and sorrow in the hard times. This will have you crying on one page and smiling on the next. A great read for somebody going through the hard times or anyone looking for something uplifting.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment