Monday, September 10, 2012

Nutella Filled Sugar Cookies

Remember THIS post? I'm still playing catch-up!

Today I am sharing something awesome. Something amazing. Something simple. And it is delicious!

Nutella Filled Sugar Cookies.

And let the drooling begin!

I originally found the recipe on Pinterest and linked HERE. My little brother loves Nutella and while he is out in Afghanistan he requested certain baked goods. Combine Nutella with homemade yumminess and he will be in heaven. Therefore I have an entire board dedicated to Nutella foods.

In a recent care package I send him a dozen of these scrumptious cookies. When I heard back from him I was told that he alone devoured them in a single day. I can give witness to the decadent taste: I ate about 3 of them myself and it was a terrible struggle not to eat more! My brother-in-law is apparently jealous that he was not sent any (he works in the oil and natural gas fields in the Dakota area) so there's a high possibility he may find these cookies in his Christmas stocking.

I will share the full recipe below but I want to give some notes first:
  1. I did NOT use the sea salt in the cookies. I completely left that out and they were still really, REALLY good.
  2. My cookies were HUGE! At least the size of my palm if not bigger. I think I basically made two sugar cookies into one but I'm totally okay with that.
  3. Be sure to fill the cookies quickly because the Nutella begins to thaw quickly.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
  • 14 Tbsp softened unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp sea salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Using 1 teaspoon to measure, scoop Nutella and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in freezer for about 15 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and have oven rack in the middle. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
  • In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium until it is creamy and fluffy (3-5 minutes). One at a time beat in the eggs and add vanilla.
  • With mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture until just combined. Use spatula to be sure it is all incorporated.
  • In a small bowl place 1/3 cup sugar. 
  • Use 2 tablespoons of cookie dough for each cookie, split in half. Slightly flatten the bottom half.
  • Sprinkle 5-6 grains sea salt on the flattened half.
  • Remove Nutella from freezer and place one mound of Nutella from the baking sheet on the bottom half of the cookie dough.
  • Cover the Nutella with the other half and seal the edges with your fingers (or slightly roll into a ball in the palm of your hand). 
  • Roll the cookie in sugar to fully coat and put in on prepared baking sheet.
  • Bake cookies about 10-13 minutes. Edges will be set and beginning to brown while centers of cookies will be soft and puffy.
  • Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Then place on cooking rack.
  • Cookies can be served warm or cooled completely.

And I can testify that they will be good and self-control will seem impossible when looking and smelling these lovely treats! Enjoy!


Photobucket


3 comments:

  1. Ummm YUM! Those look so tasty! And you know, there's an over abundance of Nutella around these parts...so I might just have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I'll have to try making some tomorrow. Although I don't have any Nutella around the house - I know, right? Jiffy has a new product made from hazelnuts (just like Nutella) and it costs about 2/3 of the price, so I've been trying that out. It tastes pretty good, but isn't as creamy as Nutella. I'll have to let you know how it works out. :)

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! New follower here! These look absolutely amazing! I am always looking for new things to try and I think I am going to have to add these to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete