Thursday, July 19, 2012

between doctors and therapists

I realize my last post was a bit of a pity party. Sorry about that, but I was being honest.

I'm doing better now. The next day I attended a play group. I also reached out to an acquaintance to invite her over and we had a lovely time sitting around and chatting. She's a nice woman and I hope I have the opportunity to get to know her better. I've also gone to the gym. Hubby took some time to talk with me about how I was feeling and encouraged me. Then today he offered me Friday night away to hang with some other ladies I've been getting to know -- I'm totally taking it!

The humid, drizzly weather and my hormones probably did not helped my emotions.

Anyway, things are moving along.

Lana had her surgery and thankfully everything went great!
waiting before surgery

In fact, when she woke up from the anesthesia the nurses all commented that kids her age NEVER act like that. She was disoriented and confused, but calm. She just looked around, answered questions and drank her juice. Only after we left the hospital and she had to get out of the wagon did Miss Cranky-Pants make an appearance. Once we settled in the car and after some additional fussing she went to sleep. A couple hours later when she woke up she was back to her usual self.
just woken up from anesthesia
Some other things have happened in the past few days as well.

Will has been going to speech therapy and should be starting occupational therapy soon. Well, the therapists (there are sometimes 2 who work with him) have had some good sessions and on my acknowledgement noted that he was performing in his usual manner. I asked about some of his behavior/emotional responses and actions based on what we've seen and they have observed.
They agree he is not on the autism spectrum -- he is far too social and communicative. He also is not ADHD because he can focus and concentrate on things... he works hard.

But there IS something going on.

Essentially they THINK he may have an auditory processing disorder, but that can't be diagnosed for several more years (I've been told). Basically he may not have as good of receptive language as we previously thought. If you're talking with him and use too many words he gets lost. He has a hard time taking on more than 1 or 2 directions at a time. He continually has to be re-directed in activities. He often doesn't understand what people are asking of him or really has to concentrate to understand.

This has been kind of hard to take in, though I was somewhat expecting it.

In the next week they are going to begin some testing so we'll see how that goes.

Also next week I begin contacting the school AGAIN about enrolling Will and setting up a meeting to discuss his IEP and what they are going to do to meet his requirements. Let's hope we make more progress now that summer break is beginning to wind down.

*sigh*

I won't mind for this heat to wind down!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear Lana's surgery went smoothly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Lana's surgery went well. Her hair is getting so long! :)

    I'll be keeping Will (and you) in my prayers to find out what's going on and that he'll make progress. Yay that's he's not on the autism spectrum and doesn't have ADHD, right? :)

    ReplyDelete