Thursday, June 7, 2012

Oh Sleep... Where Art Thou?

I still can't figure it out... but we've been in this house for nearly 3 weeks and I'm still not sleeping well.

At this point I've thrown the whole "don't watch tv, or play on the computer, or check your phone before bed" out the window. It didn't help anyway.

So yeah, it seems that I'm going to bed slightly before 1 am, taking forever to fall asleep, waking up (it seems) every time I turn over, then am woken up abruptly by small children before 8 am. Ryan has even taken over kid duties in the morning occasionally to let me sleep in a bit.

By 3 in the afternoon I feel exhausted and want to take a nap but don't do it because I want to be able to sleep at bedtime.

Still not working.

Last night I tried sleeping on the couch to see if I would sleep better... I didn't.

And no, I'm not pregnant! (though I had a strange dream about being pregnant last night... and let me just say that having to do interviews to choose a doula and both candidates are college-aged boys is not something I suggest doing --- and I've never had a doula before!)

Not sure what's going on. Usually sleep and I are best friends! I'm not stressed out, I'm staying busy, trying to do some physical things to tire me, not a whole lot that should be keeping me up.

What do you do to help you sleep??

source
I've told friends that if I ever take a sleeping pill then see some glowing green butterfly/moth flying around my room then I need to NOT be taking that medication! Am I alone in this??


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. My go to at this point is unisom. Have you tried taking melatonin? It's already in your brain and helps you sleep but sometimes taking it helps. It's non habit forming too. I don't take it because it helps me sleep a little too well...I have bad dreams (bordering on nightmares) that I can't wake up from when I'm on it. Most people don't have that problem so maybe it will help!

    I hope you get some sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Poekitten about the melatonin. You can get it in the health food store. I know of a few people that use it. One is a shift worker who rotates between nights and days. She takes it so she can actually sleep. Another is my Nephew (Genes boy) Kritopher. He has Ausbergers and has trouble sleeping, so the doc and his therapist recommended melatonin. It helped immensely. Definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the melatonin, I would try that before trying any drug to help you sleep.

      Don't forget that you're on a new time zone, although after a few weeks I would think that would have changed. You've also changed climates - you mentioned the humidity. And moving is stressful.

      I would suggest actually taking a nap. Sometimes sleep brings more sleep. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's worth a try.

      I hope that you get some restful sleep soon. I'll be praying that you do. :)

      Delete