Monday, June 11, 2012

Book Review: Called to Controversy by Ruth Rosen



Called to Controversy: The Unlikely Story of Moishe Rosen and the Founding of Jews for Jesus by Ruth Rosen

============

I'll start this off saying that I didn't really know much about Jews for Jesus or Moishe Rosen before reading this book. Overall I did find it interesting, but it was was, at times, hard to keep reading without falling asleep.

Called to Controversy is a biography about a fascinating man and written by his daughter, Ruth. Moishe Rosen was a born and raised Jewish boy who later discovers the truth of Jesus and devotes his life to teaching and reaching other Jews with the knowledge he has found. He is disowned by his own family and becomes an outcast by his own people. After working with a different ministry group and growing in his faith and evangelism, Moishe founded Jews for Jesus with a close-knit group of volunteers. His methods were controversial, which lead to some backlash. Then again, this was taking place in the 1960's - 70's and things were pretty different then.

Rosen does a good job keeping most things in chronological order in the early years but in later chapters she moves more towards grouping life situations instead, which can make it difficult for a reader to keep straight when these circumstances actually occurred. Recollections on Moishe's childhood were endearing and made even more special since the stories were input by Moishe himself before his death.

Rosen also makes a point to share the Moishe's faults and mistakes. I think this was good so readers see a more well rounded picture of this man, but I felt it was somewhat stressed.

I would offer this book to others since there was a lot of interesting information in it. However, it was not one I would call "attention-grabbing" so choose the readership wisely.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I won that book at the PWOC Auction! You wouldn't have anything to do that, would you? ;)

    ReplyDelete