Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Shalom


Welcome to the first of several guest posts! Today is the day that we leave for Ohio, but first stop off in Colorado. It's hard saying goodbye to all my wonderful friends but I know that there are more friends waiting for me to meet them!

With that being said, I thought this post was a great way to start things off. I have made an amazing friend in Natasha. She actually is not a blogger, though I think she should be one! She has an astounding heart and spirit... and the wisdom she has to share can floor you. I hope you can take something from what she has to say, I know it was a blessing to me.

====================
SHALOM
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
The Sovereignty of God is mind blowing to me. This passage has such a deep beauty to it, that God works all things after the counsel of His will, not man's will( Eph1:11) As we look at this passage we must move past the man-centered teaching of prosperity, and look deeper in what God is communicating to us.
This passage was given to the Israelites in exile in Babylon, while many say this passage is meant only for the Israelites, the principle rings true, that God is in control. He works out His purposes, at times even using the evil plans of evil men to effect His purposes. His ever watchful eye is on His people and He draws them to an intimate relationship with Him

The word used for prosper is translated in Hebrew "Shalom". Most know that the Hebrew word shalom is understood to mean "peace." However, "peace" is only one small part of the meaning.
The Theological Wordbook states that...
"Hebrew words go beyond their spoken pronunciation. Each Hebrew word conveys feeling, intent and emotion. Shalom is more then just simply peace; it is a complete peace. It is a feeling of  completeness, wholeness, well being and harmony."
The root meaning of shalom is to be whole or sound and this leads to translations that speak of completeness, wholeness
That exceeds way past the idea of economic well being.. ,
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to "complete and make you whole"...and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
God has a purpose for each one of us and that purpose will STAND, nothing can thwart the plans of God, He wants to make us whole and complete. He will use whatever means to accomplish His will. God allowed the Israelites to be taken into captivity in order to bring them to repentance and return to Him with their whole heart ( Jer 24:7)
" And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jer 29:13
Friends, God desires us to seek him wholeheartedly, how He delights in His children knowing Him deeply.
23 This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom 
or the strong boast of their strength 
or the rich boast of their riches, 
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lordwho exercises kindness, 
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

May we seek Him with all our hearts, and rest in His Shalom... May we only depend upon Him to make us whole and complete.
serving our Lord with you,
Natasha
=================
Beautiful! Thank you Natasha for sharing this beautiful piece. It has touched me and I hope it resonates with others.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow - so beautiful! Thank you so much Natasha for writing that and Sierra for sharing her thoughts with your readers.

    Praying that you have a safe trip to new base. Miss you so much.
    YSIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tegan sent me to see this post and this is great. I really needed this today. My life has been so crazy and out of whack for months now. Last night at a PWOC meeting we were asked to make a pipe cleaner into our prayer request. Mine? Ha, I took the thing and twirled it around into a screw. Because I feel like I am so screwed up- that my life is screwy.
    So the meaning behind this verse just really hit me. He does have plans to make me complete and whole. Thank you Natasha, Sierra and Tegan for this post!!

    ReplyDelete