Sunday, April 22, 2012

Slow Cooker Enchiladas

Talk about YUM! I re-found this recipe and it is now one of Ryan's favorite.

Slow Cooker Enchiladas.

These are not very spicy but you can add more of certain things to bring up the heat if you prefer. For me? I'm perfectly fine the way they are.

I originally found this recipe from one of the Taste of Home recipe books and it was submitted by Judy Ragsdale in Queen City, Texas.

Ingredients:

I realize I have ranch style black eyed peas with bacon flavor instead of the beans. The commissary didn't have the beans so Ryan got the peas. It actually tasted REALLY good!
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 can (15 ounces) ranch-style beans, undrained
  • 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon peper
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 6-8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
DIRECTIONS

Chop up your onion.
Let me share a secret: I don't know how to properly chop an onion. I tried watching YouTube videos and even talked with a woman who was going to chef school. No luck. So, I just cut up my onion and put it in my chopper/processor.
Cook onion and brown your beef over medium heat and drain. I use a non-stick pan because no oil or butter is used in this recipe.


While that is cooking, chop up your green pepper.
    same story as with the onion, I cut what I can then just put it in my chopper/processor
Stir in the beans, tomatoes, green pepper, chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper. Just warm through. Combine cheese in separate bowl (or just buy a cheddar/monterey jack 

Prepare your crock pot

Non-stick spray and 20 inch by 3 inch folded strips of aluminum foil placed in the bottom of cooker to resemble spokes of a wheel.

Place 2 tortillas side by side, okay to overlap. Pour 1/3 of the meat mixture over. Top with 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times. I like to finalize with topping with 2 more tortillas and cheese on top of that.

Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until thoroughly heated through

Carefully remove from crock pot and serve (removing the tin foil and scooping any loose meat mixture onto whatever dish you are serving on)
    I can never make it come out looking very pretty
And that's it! My suggestions for turning up the heat is to add more green pepper. Or use green or red chilies. There is also the option of adding a touch of your favorite hot sauce to the meat mixture. Other additions you could use may be the black eyed peas or even add in some yellow corn. 

Hope you enjoy!

Photobucket















No comments:

Post a Comment