Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easter Egg Bunnies

We are nearing Easter!

I love Easter. The whole reason behind it: Jesus has Risen!

But I also enjoy the other parts: bunnies, candy, colored eggs...

So, I'm going to share a pretty simple craft that I learned when I was probably around 10 or 12. Not sure what to call them, so I'll call them Easter Egg Bunnies!


I made some for my kids yesterday and they loved them! They thought they were fun to play with and unfortunately the dog thought they were for her to play with too. The 2 bunnies I made for Will and Lana are now sort of brown colored from the dirt outside. Oops!

===============================
SUPPLIES
  • white wash cloths (at Target I found an 8 pack for less than $3)
  • Glue gun w/ glue sticks
  • scissors
  • rubberbands
  • plastic Easter eggs
  • small googly eyes
  • tiny pink pompoms
  • medium sized white or colored pompoms
  • 5/8" or smaller coordinating colored ribbon
  • OPTIONAL: tiny bows (in coordinating colors)


======================================
DIRECTIONS:

Lay washcloth out flat. Cut off tag if you prefer.
Fold wash cloth in half to make a triangle
begin rolling wash cloth from the small point of the triangle to the long side
complete roll all the way to the top of the triangle

fold rolled wash cloth in half
(yuck my hand looks really fat in this picture... I swear they really aren't!)

take the 2 loose ends and fold them up over the roll so the points can touch the rounded fold of the wash cloth

place fingers about an 1-2 inches from that fold over -- this will be the head of the bunny

place rubber band tightly around the area your fingers were holding -- this is your basic bunny

take your ribbon, cut to desired length, and hot glue to the bottom of the bunny to cover your rubberband. It would have worked better if I used a smaller ribbon, but it's all good.

I also glued a little bit of the top of the ribbon to the rubberband to help hold in place

glue on the eyes

glue on the nose

glue the tail on the back
I used colored pompoms but white also works

place plastic egg inside the bunny body
I usually put the rounded side down to help the bunny stay flat


And there you go... Don't they just look happy and cute?! I think so!




I've done other options where tiny bows are placed on the top of the bunny head centered on the ribbon. I've also done ribbons color coordinated with the eggs (like how I did the tails). This time I kept things simple and found a ribbon containing all the colors I wanted and went that route.

Once I had my supplies out it took maybe 5 minutes to complete 1 bunny so it really is not hard or time consuming.

Oh, and I should add that recently I saw somebody do a similar craft but they just had the basic bunny with no decoration and used it to soothe owies for their little ones. They placed ice in the body part or just chilled the whole wash cloth to use. I'd never seen that before, nor have I done it so I'm not sure how well it works.

Anyway, let me know if you try out the craft and what you thought of it!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love your crafty ideas! :D Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete