Tuesday, March 27, 2012

the dry, gorgeous land

It was today I looked at the calendar... and counted. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... ?!?!

Six.

We have 6 weeks left in Albuquerque (give or take a day or two).

I must admit that I am very excited about our new adventure in Ohio but I am sad to be leaving behind this wonderful place.

That's likely what many of my fellow military people experience -- Bring on the new base! But I will miss my friends and life I've created here. It's more than the friends for me though. I love just living here.

Albuquerque is an amazing place. The Land of Enchantment has enchanted me. I told Ryan I wouldn't mind returning here and staying forever... he also wouldn't mind returning for a tour or longer but doesn't want to retire here. (put in pouty face here)

You can't beat the beautiful weather, the big blue skies with amazing sunsets, seeing hot air balloons floating over the city nearly every morning, watching the Sandias turn pink and almost red in the evening sun, the graphic lightning storms, the old, old history, the culture... I could go on. It is such a BIG city, but it feels more intimate, more like a smaller town in some ways (though not without big city crime). There are always things to find and do. And that's just Albuquerque! New Mexico in general is full of breath-taking sights, rich history, and activities for any person.

People have complained about the brown. That it looks dead and boring. It's just a bunch of dirt.

But it is so much more than that! It is amazing.

Maybe it is because I'm accustomed to the green, trees, forest, water, wetness of the Pacific Northwest that I find such awe in this high desert.

Oh, I'm sure Ohio has its own beauty, but I am going to miss this dry, gorgeous land.


Photobucket




No comments:

Post a Comment