Thursday, February 16, 2012

Deciphering His Language

That look of disappointment and frustration breaks my heart every time. Especially coming from one who is so adamant to be understood. When he speaks to me he expects me to repeat back what it is he is saying so that he knows I understand him.

It's hard.

At this point William is putting short (usually incomplete) sentences together.

"Daddy ah sool?"
"Yes, daddy is at school."

"Daddy i pone pa ka."
"You have daddy's iPhone in your pocket?"
"yeah"

"Daddy pee uh, uh daddy car ah sool?"
"Yes, daddy is going to pick you up from school in his car."

(While reading the end of Love You Forever when the son is rocking his newborn baby)
"No mommy?"
"That's right, the mommy went to bed already."
"yeah, mommy go nigh nigh. Bye bye mommy."

Those are some of the frequent, short conversations we have... and I understand those. But sometimes he gets excited or has discovered something new and I just can't figure out what he's trying to tell me. I become disheartened because I can see in his body language how much he wants me to understand and his disappointment that I can't follow through.

But in these almost 2 years of therapies he has made amazing progress. I'm so proud of how hard he has worked. And honestly, those situations where I can't figure out what he's telling or asking me have become less and less. He is still GREAT using his non-verbal cues to assist others in deciphering his language, but I'm finding that I know his words. I can usually translate what he's saying pretty well.

My son is beginning to truly share the world of his mind with me because he can communicate it! I feel very special to be included. Of course, he thinks the world of his daddy! And like most almost-4-year-olds he is annoyed with his little sister... but he does care for her. On the weekends he is the one who opens the door for her to get out of her room -- and out they saunter together with sly smiles. He teaches her how to do things, scolds her, tries to negotiate trades with her, and holds her hand when we go places. They are teaching each other how to talk.

So take that Apraxia! My little boy can beat you!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment