Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Time to Share the NEWS!

It's time I share our news:

Ryan has been accepted to the Masters in Applied Physics program at AFIT!

This is a GREAT step for his career and what he has been wanting to do. I'm so proud of him for being accepted!

For those of you who do not know what AFIT is, it stands for Air Force Institute of Technology. It is the graduate level school for this branch of service (though other branches can also apply) and it offers accelerated and strenuous educational degrees. It is no cake walk. I heard that a small percentage of those who apply are actually accepted.

When he came home with the news I was thrilled. Then came the pain -- we are leaving here in about 5 months.

Ouch. When he said that it felt like somebody slapped my heart. I literally cringed and tears brimmed in my eyes.

I knew, if accepted, we would be moving to Ohio. What I had not mentally prepared myself for was how soon it would happen. I was expecting the summer at the earliest and possibly fall. That is not what happened.

For a day or so I was bummed. I immediately start thinking of the great friends I'll leave behind, finding a new place to live, making sure Will gets the services he requires, re-creating a support system of people who can be relied on, settling into a new church... everything that goes with moving besides the actual physial part of moving.

Anyway, I was driving Will to school a day or so later after receiving the news and stewing over what I just mentioned when, I'm telling you, God spoke to my heart.

In the past I've believed God has spoken to me, but it has never been so clear and precise. It was simple yet piercing...

"Don't you trust me?"

Wow. That's all I needed to hear. I have been praying for my husband to get into this program. Our other alternatives of him obtaining his Masters would take many more years... and we also had deployments hanging over our head. This is what we wanted. Why was I being such a whiner about it? I know that we will always be taken care of and that God is the one who truly dictates our military orders... where was my faith?

Needless to say, my attitude has totally changed since that personal encounter. I earnestly began talking with friends who were stationed at the base previously. Also, through a friend, I got connected with a woman who is currently stationed there while her husband is at AFIT and she has 2 kids the same age as mine. After the first of the year I really plan on finding out more of what I should expect and slowly begin the organizing/packing/cleaning process.

I still feel the sadness of leaving behind friends. As a military spouse it kind of comes with the job... but there's a chance two of my current friends will be following us later this year (which would be awesome). And it is very possible we can return to Albuquerque in a few years!

So that's what's going on here. Keep us in your prayers.

And have any of you ever been to Dayton??



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I'm really happy for you guys! Although, I am also really sad that you're leaving. It's bittersweet all around. It is a great opportunity for Ryan and I know he is so excited about it. I sure will miss you! I know we have FB and blogging and we'll definitely have to make plans to get together at various points in the country in the future. :) Congrats to Ryan! I'm so glad that you are trusting the Lord with this - He will provide everything, from the perfect teacher/therapy for Will, to great friends, to the perfect house. John 16:24 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for your family! It settles my mind to read/hear when others hear God speaking to them. It was a part of Pastor Gaylen's message this past weekend, and I've tried really hard to listen for Him. I'll be here to talk about whatever it is you want to talk about (and I'll try my hardest to hold back tears, which will get harder as spring approaches).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now catching up, so I apologize for my tardiness but am happy to read that you've managed beautifully! So very excited for your family & career change for your husband. I'm hoping to experience something similar later this summer :) AND I hope St. Louis treated you well when you drove through :)

    ReplyDelete