Monday, July 4, 2011

Commenters, mind your manners!

I've been wanting to address something that has been bugging me about the blogging community which I'm sure there are many people in agreement.

It's those mean commenters.

Thankfully I've really only had to deal with 1 or 2 comments and I will just delete any that seem offensive or rude to me. I allow open comments here so I'm thankful I haven't had to deal with much.

But I know that there are others who share their lives through their blogs who have gone through some horrible things. They lay out the story and open their emotions to whomever comes across that page. Several of those blogs provide an uplifting message through the hardships and I empathize for them and pray for them and do truly wish the best for their happiness and future.

Most of the comments I see there are extremely encouraging.

THEN there are the rude people.

I'm not sure what it is that makes them think it is appropriate to belittle, chastise, insult or condemn but I feel it is extremely out of line. And it's not just on emotional blog posts, it can be about anything! I've seen rude comments on recipe blogs! RECIPES!! I'm thinking, 'why on earth are you being mean and offensive to somebody's post about a recipe? 'Cause if you don't like that recipe, just don't make it.'

We really don't need to be spreading around negative things.

Perhaps it is the anonymity the Internet can provide that allows strangers to blatantly say horrible, mean, and explicit things they would never, in a million years, say to a stranger's face.

I know if I'm in disagreement on what somebody has posted I just do not comment at all or at least only mention my disagreement on the topic, not that person or their character. I also refuse to get into an argument though comments... it seems childish. Too much drama that I refuse to partake in.

Brings me back to what past mothers would always teach (though I think it's been going out of style lately):
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!"


I think manners need to be truly brought into the blogging community... and probably not just the blogging community. Manners should be in place everywhere, but unfortunately, many people seem to have forgotten them.


Oh, and by the way, Happy 4th of July! I'll be blogging about our day in the near future.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Some people aren't happy unless they are being mean to others. And I agree...don't feed the drama llama!

    Hope you guys enjoy the fireworks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Jenna's 2nd annual comment challenge! What a great reminder for us all. Sometimes you think you are being helpful when you are being hurtful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with this, and its so sad to see other moms/ bloggers discouraging one another!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping from Jenna Journey! I agree with you too. If someone disagrees with me, I am fine with that. If someone is rude, I am not.

    ReplyDelete