Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Book Review: A Place Called Blessing by John Trent


A Place Called Blessing by John Trent, PhD with Annette Smith is a fictional story based on the elements from the book The Blessing. Completely engrossing, I could not put the book down at all!

A 5-year-old Josh and his two older brothers become orphans and are split up when sent to foster care after their neglectful parents die in a drunk driving accident. Eventually the boys are reunited in a nice foster home. But things do not stay wonderful as a tragic accident forces the children to leave and go to a children’s home. Josh’s brothers are eventually adopted out but he is left behind.

At 18 Josh leaves to head out on his own. Angry, bitter, distrustful, feeling worthless he leads the life of a loner. No real place to stay and barely anything to eat Josh finally finds work in another town. It is there a co-worker, Mike, hooks him up with a place to stay – his mom’s house.

Living with Mike and his mom, Anna, Josh begins to learn what it is like to be loved, accepted and have self-worth. When things get hard and a horrible secret surfaces Josh finds the support and “the blessing” he needs to continue into a productive and healthy future.

Such a heartwarming and emotional story, it had me laughing out loud in some parts and in others tearing up. I became quite invested in Josh’s character and could not wait to finish the book. Once I picked it up I couldn’t set it down… but it is a fairly short read at fewer than 200 pages so in a couple hours I had it completed. And I am happy to say I felt the ending tied up everything quite well.

I have not read The Blessing which this book is derived from. After reading some additional information I might have to pick it up, as it would be an interesting book to read as well. I think any parent or person could enjoy this book as it can provide some great insights on truly showing love and blessing your children or any other person you come in contact with.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted about a book! I am stopping over from Jenna's. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    Brittany
    brittanyanddenver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete