Monday, May 2, 2011

A Day to Remember

A day to remember: the announcement that Osama Bin Laden is dead.

I was working on cleaning up in the kitchen while Will, avoiding bed time at all costs, was bugging me from his side of the gate.

Ryan races in and says, "have you been watching the news??"

I was annoyed with him because he knows I NEVER watch the news. It is nearly always depressing. I told him no and asked, "why, did something important happen?"

He turns it on and tells me to get over there. I wasn't in a good mood but unhappily obliged, getting after Will in the process. That's when Ryan tells me, "we killd Bin Laden."

I was a bit taken aback. Really? This man who is our enemy and orchestrated those horrific attacks nearly 10 years ago is finally dead?

Oddly, I wasn't 'happy' about his death. For some reason the verse about not being delighted in the stumbling of an enemy kept coming to mind. I can't think of a word tonight to express my true feelings about it.

The news keeps repeating that Bin Laden has been brought to justice. I'm not sure if I agree with that. How much satisfaction really comes to those families who lost loved ones in the 9-11 attacks? They still don't have those people back. This man brought so much hurt, pain and loss to so many families... how does him dying bring "justice" for what he did?

But, I will be honest and say that I'm actually relieved that he was killed because can you imagine the circus and possible attacks that would take place if he had just been captured and then was to stand trial? We all remember the drama that went along with Saddam's trial.

Also, I'm relieved that our military members who carried out this charge were no hurt.

The release of the news this evening also explains why our threat levels were raised and the whole "be vigilant" message was being sent out by the military bases today.

I hope everybody stays safe and that any attacks or retaliation can be put down before America, Americans, or our Allies are hurt.

I may not be 'happy' that this major terrorist is dead... but I'm not 'sad' about it either.

God Bless America!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment