Saturday, April 30, 2011

Meat-in-the-Foil Recipe

It may not sound appitizing to some of you, but just let me say, it is SUPER yummy. Another good thing: it is easy to make. For mom's who maybe have a short time to whip something up and then have to run to pick up a kid from soccer practice, band rehearsal, the babysitter's, or if you just want something fast to prepare and then relax... this is a meal for you!

This meal is also easily adjusted for a slow-cooker recipe and can even be done with roast instead of steaks -- I'll share that after the initial recipe.




INGREDIENTS:
  • Round Steaks (or whatever steak you prefer) up to maybe 5
  • 6 Potatoes, peeled and cut
  • carrots, cut (or use baby carrots whole)
  • 2 TBs butter
  • 1 package Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 425*
  • lay out foil on cookie sheet. I use two pieces of foil to create a "bag". If you don't want to actually use foil, I believe you can also use those oven bags.
  • place your meat in the foil
  • peel and cut up the potatoes. Choose whichever way to cut you like. You can even thinly slice if you want. Then place with the meat. If you choose to use red potatoes instead of russet it is not necessary to peel, unless you want to.
You could, instead, use a bag or two of these... which I've done on occassion. Found in the frozen food section, though I find they absorb a bit of a metallic taste so I like to use unfrozen.

  • Take the package of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and dump it on top of the meat & potatoes. This is also where you would add your carrots. I personally don't like cooked carrots so we don't include that in our meal.
  • Top with the butter. You could also add some water since often the meat will come out tough.
  • Close up the foil by folding over and slightly rolling to prevent steam from escaping.
  • Place in oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
  • When finished, romove from oven, allow to sit for a few minutes then open SLOWLY. The steam is hot and can burn.
  • Dish out and enjoy!

I know some people will gasp that I have 2 major starches (potatoes and corn) for dinner, but darn it, I like corn!


Now for the Roast version:
Same as above, just use a roast instead of the steaks

And the Slow Cooker Version:
Same ingredients but be sure to add a cup or more of water for the broth. You can then make gravy from it or just serve the meat with the juice.
Add all ingredients to the slow cooker (steaks or pot roast chunk).
Cook on high 3-4 hours.


Happy Cooking!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I have to admit, I don't think twice about serving corn and potatoes in the same meal! I love my corn :)

    ReplyDelete