Monday, March 7, 2011

Potty Watch

haha, after I wrote that title it made me think of some disgusting voyeurism.

Anyway, I've been looking around online in search of what is called a potty watch. It is a small watch for young children with a timer that goes off at specified intervals to remind them to go potty.

William is 3 today and still not fully potty trained. It's like he goes in phases where he'll do great with no accidents for quite some time and then he reverts back to only going in his pants. Some of it, I'm sure, is from inconsistency on my part and the craziness that we have been going through, but I've also discovered that children with Apraxia and motor planning problems have more difficulty being potty trained.

Part of the problem is that he won't tell anybody when he has to go... because he can't say anything. Sometimes he will give his tapping signal or do his potty dance but unless I catch him doing it there is no notice he needs to go potty.

So I'm looking into a potty watch. That way, even in public we'll have a notification that it's time for him to go. I've been reading reviews from many people and nearly all (if the watch is operational) have said that it has been a tremendous help and many parents of children with special needs use them as well. The vibrations or alarm really help the child connect what to do. It's also helpful since little kids get distracted while playing that they don't realize they need to go... the watch helps.

But, which one to get??

There's the original Potty Watch for about $11 but many of the complaints is that the construction is crappy and sometimes does not work properly and the batteries die quickly.

There's another one by VibraLite varies in price from $50-$80, yes $80. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying that much for a watch my 3-year-old is going to wear. And who needs all those fancy features? Then again, this one is also for older children or adults to help with medication reminders.

The one I'm looking more closely at is the WOBL watch for about $35 by Potty MD. It has a longer battery life and several features. This one comes in multiple colors and is geared specifically for toddlers. I'm still not a fan of the price tag...

What is making me finally re-collect myself and attack the potty training so much? Well, I don't know about you but it seems my grocery bill is going up and I'm not buying anything different. I don't want to keep buying pull-ups so often. I don't mind him wearing them for bedtime, but going through several a day is just getting old. Besides, I think it's cheaper to just wash his wet undies and keep doing it that way. Also... gas prices are STILL rising and I need to find a way to decrease spending somewhere.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment