Thursday, February 3, 2011

It happened.

They broke.

They not only broke... those freakin' pipes EXPLODED!

We woke up at 4 am to our fire alarms going off. We jump out of bed and our feet are soaked.

I don't want to go into details because it has been one LOOOOONG day. Kinda stressful, but we're okay.

But, basically, water was pouring into our house from the ceiling, vents, lighting fixtures and outlets. Probably 80% of our house has water damage. All 3 bedrooms were flooded, our walk in closet, the hallway, the storage room, both bathrooms and maybe 1/4 of our living room. There is also water in the laundry room. We had standing water in both bathrooms and the entry way which included another closet. The only parts untouched were the kitchen and dining room... oh, and the garage.

We praise God that William woke up at 2 am and ended up sleeping on the couch because the worst damage (besides the 1 bathroom) was directly over his bed.

I'll probably post pictures soon.

There have been so many blessings in this crazy situation to be thankful for. We are all fine. We are staying in TLF. Although Albuquerque is having a MAJOR natural gas shortage and we had no heat for awhile, we now have heat and were also able to get an electric space heater. Our dog is staying with a friend and we have renter's insurance. Things are working out, this is just a bad and horribly inconvenient situation.

On a funnier note I have to share this story:

As I said, it was like 4 am. With all the insane water raining down in our house and coming out of electric stuff we quickly shut off all the breakers, to be safe.

We needed to shut off the water -- and fast!

So my wonderful husband was in some cotton shorts, a tee shirt, and a huge puffy jacket... running around outside our house in -4 degree weather trying to find a shut off valve. In the mean time I called maintenance and let them know what was going on.

-4 degree weather people... and he's only in his pjs!

It took them about 30 minutes for the maintenance guy to get there and shut off the water.

Apparently pipes had been bursting all over base but he said we get the award for the worst damage. Not really an award I'd like to receive.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry Sierra! Let me know if there's anything we can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea it was that bad! If you need clothes for Alana - I have lots from Sophie. I also have 2 year old clothes for Edward that he's not wearing yet. Seriously - let me know what you need.

    Praise the Lord that Will went to sleep on the couch!

    That is really freaky - water coming out of outlets and light fixtures - man . . .

    Hurray for your husband venturing out to save the day in his PJ's- that is really courageous!

    ReplyDelete