Friday, December 10, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In


I've missed a week or two (or three??) but at least I'm getting back on board!
If you wanna join, check out WifeOfASailor's page, answer her questions on your blog and then link up!
This week:
  1. What do you see your life like in 10 years?
    • We’ll probably still be active duty and living wherever the military has sent us. Hopefully we’ll have another child or two (so we’d have a brood of 3-4) and Will should be about to enter High School and Alanna Jr. High – that’s scary! I’ll likely still be taking care of the kids at home, maybe have my masters or working towards it. It would also be nice to be working in the legal field in some area (maybe from home??). Also, we’ll be nearing the 20 year mark of military life so Ryan will probably be ready to retire and be planning our next step.
  2. What do you like most about your job?
    • I’m a stay-at-home-mom. What do I love about it? I’m there to see and watch my kids as they learn stuff everyday. Even if it’s a crazy day where I want to pull my hair out there will always be something good, like my boy crawling up on my lap with a book just so he can cuddle and have me read to him... or when my baby reaches a new development milestone early and she looks at me with that drooly, gummy grin.
  3. What are three things you do every day, no matter what day it is?
    • Change diapers, make food/meals, check e-mail
  4. What would you do with an extra five hours in your day today?
    • Wow, just today?! I think I would get more Christmas MailOut work done, get the dog groomed, and maybe take a nap. I’ve got a performance tonight so some extra time to get some stuff done at home would be nice.
  5. What is your favorite Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate) cookie recipe (please share!)?
    • Ooohh... difficult one... there are so many yummy ones, so I’ll share 2.
The first is actually not a cookie, it’s a “bar”. My mom would make them at Christmas time and she’d make them festive by putting little green/white/red chocolate chips on top.
The second is a new find! I just made them for a cookie exchange and I’m sure I’ll have to make them waaaay more often.
Layer Bars
½ C. Butter
2 ½ C. Graham cracker crumbs
(I actually used crushed Nilla cookies and like it a LOT more)
1 ½ C. Chopped nuts
(I use 3 different kinds ½ c each of walnuts, slivered almonds, and pecans)
1 ½ C. Flaked coconut
1 ¾ C. Chocolate morsels
1 can condensed milk
**melt butter in 13x9 in. Pan in oven. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over butter. Stir well; press onto bottom of pan. Sprinkle/layer nuts, coconut & morsels in pan. Pour condensed milk evenly on top.
**Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely, cut and serve.
Toffee Studded Snickerdoodles
½ C. Butter, softened
½ C. Shortening
1 C. Plus 3 TBS. Sugar, divided
2 eggs
2 ¾ C. Flour
2 tsp. Cream of tartar
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. Salt
1 1/3 C. Heath Bits ‘o Brickle Toffee Bits, or, for a mix with chocolate, Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits (which I like better)
1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
**pre-heat oven to 400°
** Mix butter, shortening & 1 C. Sugar in bowl until fluffy. Add eggs.
**Stir together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda & salt. Gradually add to butter mixture and blend well. Stir in toffee bits.
**In separate bowl stir together 3 TBS sugar and 1 tsp. Cinnamon. Shape dough into small round balls, roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture, place on ungreased cookie sheet.
**Bake 9-11 minutes, until lightly browned on edges. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire racks. Cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from the Friday Fill-In :)

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm a new follower from the Fill-in! Your recipe for the toffee cookies sound delicious, I'll have to try it sometime! Lydia

    ReplyDelete