Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Medal of Honor

I can say... IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Congratulations to Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta! Our first LIVING Medal of Honor recipient since the Vietnam War.

I saw part of the ceremony on tv when it aired, but missed most of it, only really seeing President Obama actually putting the award around his neck. But I was able to watch the entire ceremony on the White House page HERE.

It was a very special time for our country and I'm a bit disappointed so many people did not see it or even know it happened. To me this is a big deal. 9 other people have received the Medal of Honor since Vietnam, but all of them were awarded posthumously.

When I watched Sgt. Giunta as his act of valor from 2007 was explained it was like you could see him re-living the scene in his mind. I cannot imagine what he, and many other men and women, have had to experience in battle, and to be honest --- I hope I never do. What these young people have had to endure and see sometimes makes me wonder how strong they have to be, and if they are really getting the help they need when its all over (which makes me want to go on a tangent on how the government is wanting to mess with military benefits AGAIN... but I won't).

Even this week, looking through the Air Force Times, I am bothered to see the names & ages of those who have died in combat. Most of them are younger than me... and I'm only 25!

Sgt. Giunta now joins the ranks of a select few white-haired men (some of whom were present, and Forrest Gump is not one of them) and I feel that there have probably been many more service members worthy of this award but have been lost in the paperwork over the years.

If you didn't know, my younger brother is now Active Duty in the Army. I'm very proud of him and what he has accomplished so far and still what he is working to accomplish (ahem, ARMY RANGER, ahem). There is a very good possibility he will end up in Afghanistan in the near future. I'm concerned and I know my mom and dad and sisters are also.

Yes, my husband can get called up to deploy at any time as well, but the job he would be sent to do would not be dangerous or really near any hostile area, well, at least what goes for "pretty safe" over there. I'd still be worried if he went though.

Anyway, I know the wife and family of Sgt. Giunta are extremely proud of him... and I am as well. Congratulations again.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! Our soldiers are not nearly thanked enough as they should be. And it shouldn't take so long to acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete