Saturday, September 4, 2010

Baking Soda Mishaps

Ug! Sometimes I'm amazed that I even enjoy baking!

Tonight we were having pancakes for dinner, the Bisquick kind, not the "from scratch" kind (they take too many eggs, more messy, and mixing/prepping is too slow). Anyway, I decide to make the Supreme version which is 2 Tbsp sugar, 2 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp vanilla.

Sounds simple, right?

Well, I put in 2 Tbsp baking soda. Not a good thing. I catch it after 1 pancake so I throw out all the batter. Thankfully I still had 1 egg left so I was able to half the recipe (which I usually do anyway) and mix it up proper.

It was frustrating and funny and reminded me of something I did similar in college...

I was baking cookies and go to get the flour. Now my roommate provided most of the kitchen stuff, so I grab the GIANT jar/container with white powdery stuff inside. Dump the measured amount in my dough and continue on.

It isn't long before I notice my dough literally rising in the bowl. I do a taste test and it is bitter... you know, salty flavor.

What do I do? Dump a ton of sugar in. The dough continues to rise... and it still tastes awful.

I ended up throwing it all away. When my roommate came home I told her what happened and she asked me to show her the container I used.

It was baking soda. I put in 2 1/3 cups BAKING SODA in my chocolate chip cookie dough. Apparently there was an "s" on the huge glass container to let you know.

What I want to know is why in the world do we have a gallon+ jar of baking soda?! Who does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment